History & Backstory
The gnomes in the region claim to have sailed north from the gnomish homelands some millenia ago, although their cartography skills are lacking, and humans have been unable to locate the original gnome lands. The gnomes have a knack for shipbuilding and other crafts. Their natural affinity for artifice has helped earn them a vital spot in the ecosystem of the region, as they are the primary suppliers of wood and ships to the region.
The gnomes settled Gantan and built defenses to protect the city from the wilds of Akkatish. Due to their ingenuity, the city has been able to defend itself from the dangers of the wild while the gnomes are able to harvest the jungle wood for shipbuilding.
Gnomes tend to get along better with dwarves and Mulluns, as their cultures and love for crafting helps to bond them. The Regi and gnomes have a tense relation, as their cultures differ greatly, but the Regi have a need for the gnomes and their shipbuilding.
Gnomes in and around Lune have all of the following racial traits:
- +2 Intelligence – Gnomes have a natural affinity for artifice, building, engineering, and thinking.
- Small sized – Gnomes gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks, but use smaller weapons than medium sized creatures, and lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Humanoid (Gnome) – Gnomes are humanoid creatures with the Gnome subtype.
- Darkvision 60’ – Gnomes can see perfectly in darkness (nonmagical) out to 60’. Darkvision is black and white. Gnomes can twice as far in low-light situations, if a light source (at least a candle, or starlit night) is present.
- A gnome’s base land speed is 20’.
- Gnome weapon familiarity – Gnomes may treat “gnome” weapons as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
- Gnomish Artifice – Gnomes with an Int score of 10 or higher may use Mending as a spell-like ability a number of days equal to 1 + Int modifier.
- Gnomes have a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects. Gnomes are more material and artifice based. As a result, magic and gnomes do not interact well, resulting in gnomes having extra resistance to such effects.
- Gnomes have a +2 racial bonus to all Craft checks. Gnomes have advantage when making checks relating to shipbuilding.
- Gnomes have a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks.
- Gnomes automatically speak Regimi (common) and Gnomish.